Picking the Right Finish
There are a variety of terms such as High-Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Eggshell, and Matte that are used to describe the amount of gloss that is added to a paint or coating.
Picking the right level of sheen for a particular surface or application can affect your overall satisfaction with a job because it affects durability, ease of stain removal, and visibility of imperfections on the covered surface.
• High Gloss – High Gloss coatings are typically used for kitchen and bathroom walls, kitchen cabinets, banisters and railings, trim, door jambs, window sills and furniture. High Gloss paint is more durable, stain-resistant, and easier to clean than other coatings, but it also makes surface imperfections more noticeable.
• Semi-Gloss – Semi-Gloss coatings are typically used for kitchen and bathroom walls, hallways, kid's rooms, playrooms, doors, woodwork, and trim. Semi-Gloss paint is more stain-resistant and easier to clean than Matte paints, making it a great choice for high-traffic areas.
• Satin/Silk – The range of Satin or Silk finishes overlap with Semi-Gloss and Eggshell in their usage, level of sheen, and characteristics of the coatings.
• Eggshell – Eggshell finishes can be used in place of a Flat or Matte finishes in kitchens, bathrooms, hallways and other high-traffic or stain-prone areas like kid's rooms or playrooms. It can also be used on doors, woodwork, and trim, if less sheen is desired. Eggshell finishes are more stain resistant and easier to wash than Flat or Matte finishes and they hide imperfections on the surface better than the glossier finishes.
• Flat/Matte – Flat or Matte finishes is used for general wall and ceiling applications. Matte finishes are great for hiding imperfections, but can be hard to clean, making it best suited for low-traffic areas.
If you have any other questions about picking the right finish, call Pelican Painting Company at (941) 349-8498, and one of our coatings experts will gladly answer all of your questions and provide you with a free in-home or in-office estimate.
Pelican Painting Company is State Licensed and Fully Insured, and we are so certain that we will exceed your expectations that we stand behind every Commercial and Residential Project with a Written Guarantee.
Call (941) 349-8498 for your FREE in-home or in-office estimate.